Monday, July 12, 2010

Monday Morning Update-



Last week I needed some inspiration, it was too hot to go out, so I pulled out my scrapbooks. I love to scrapbook, and in all honesty my art really started from there. I did take art in high school and a tiny bit in college, but after that I spent years art free. I 'm sure many of you can relate to the feeling you get when you without creating. It's like a little itch that just gets stronger. I tried tole painting, but it wasn't my style. I then went to jewelry, which I love to create, but again I still had a itch to get out the paper and paint. Scrapbooking really helped fill the void. The smell of fresh new paper is one of my favorite scents. I know it sounds weird, but I'm willing to bet a few of you love the smell of new paper at the scrapbook store :) Where did this post start??? oh yes....my scrapbook inspiration. Looking back at our vacation last year, I fondly remember one of my all time favorite hotels, the Casa Monica in St. Augustine FL. We stayed there last year and it was beautiful. I loved everything about it, the architecture, colors, sounds and sweet smells. It feels so Spanish, or at least that is how I feel when we are there. Drawing from that inspiration I built my own little casa. It looks nothing like the hotel. It looks nothing like a normal house. I wanted to add my favorite birds, so it is a Spanish bird house. Named "Pajarera" I hope I translated right, I googled :) please feel free to correct me. I just thought a title like birdhouse was too plain, and really didn't speak of my inspiration.


This is a huge piece, created on 18x18 birch wood box/panel. It has 1.5 inch sides that I have left in its beautiful natural wood state. The birds are created from vintage travel guides. The house numbers were stamped with these great vintage print making stamps. Click here to see more shots on my ETSY listing.

No comments:

Blog Archive

VISIT ME AT ETSY!